[OpenFontLibrary] font assimilation

Jon Phillips jon at fabricatorz.com
Mon Apr 9 18:02:38 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org> wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at fabricatorz.com> quotes this exchange:

>> > That's a funny way to word it :)
>> > i think you'll find the google webfont directory is simply a library of  mostly OFL licensed fonts, made accessible via google's very smart font API. The fonts themselves are freely available apart from the google API, e.g via fontsquirrel.com
>
> Google does not simply hoard existing fonts, but provides versions
> tailored to use on the web, in Google’s OSes and applications,
> etc. This is definitely the case with my own fonts, where I have
> provided them with TrueType versions not available elsewhere, and
> where they have made improvements for Google Reader that I have not
> (to date) backported.

Can you provide those sources to us, or are they available on google webfonts?

That is good to know there is value add.

I wonder what the license is on those sources. Did you have to sign an
agreement to license them to google separately so they can create
derivatives at will?

Jon Phillips 王✳爻气 http://fabricatorz.com ✳ skype: kidproto ✳ irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) ✳ +86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)