[OpenFontLibrary] Some question on adding fonts

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue May 22 23:05:44 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I tried to add my first OFLB font[1] today, and I have some
questions/remarks.

I provide special web version of my fonts that is a bit optimised to
have smaller file size than the regular version (my omitting stuff not
needed on the web like glyph names etc.), following the open font
sources template[2] I put them under web subdirectory, but OFLB seems to
to have any special handling of this and reads both web and non web
files duplicating every style in the font. Now, to work around this I
uploaded a new ZIP with only the web version, but I don't want to people
to be using that on desktop apps (it will result in poorly copyable
PDF's for example). It seems I'm the only one using the, what I thought,
recommended layout. I also provide WOFF and EOT files, but they are
ignored (the generated CSS is using the TTF files only).

Another issue is that the Character Map listing is near useless, it is
only showing Latin letters and few punctuation marks, not very useful
for a mainly Arabic font.

Also the preview text is truncated from above an below because of the
forced small line height, if I revert to default line height in Firefox
(using the built in inspector) no truncation happens.

I don't also seem to find a way to provide a link to upstream font
website.

All in all, I think the font should be removed from OFLB for now (or at
least hide it) because it will be giving users bad experience, but there
seem not to be a way to do this.

Regards,
 Khaled

[1] http://openfontlibrary.org/font/amiri