[OpenFontLibrary] Font Family Naming conventions

Victor Gaultney vtype at gaultney.org
Tue Sep 18 14:12:32 PDT 2012

On 18 Sep 2012, at 02:38, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any resources to recommend on font family naming
> conventions? :-)

Adam T's thorough recommendations are here:

http://forum.fontlab.com/index.php?topic=313.0

However careful and complex these may be, I've found the very best solution is to plan to produce families of no more than four variants - the standard Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic. Any variance from that invites incompatibilities. That may be simplistic, but it works every time. Where I have more weights than that I group them into sets of four, then name the families differently, as in "Gentium Basic" and "Gentium Basic Book".

Victor