[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Treatment of the OFL in the wild

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Tue Jun 4 09:05:31 PDT 2013

Sorry. I need to clarify where i was going with this :)
My point is not really to do with licensing (i know fonts can be embedded under the OFL). But, i'm aware that embedding has not really been seen as a 'best practise' way of distributing libre fonts. When i say distributing, i mean *spreading them around*, not simply *allowing them to be used*.
Now, i know some designers will say that the 'most proper' way to distribute libre fonts is as full-on source package, and then there is the Google webfont approach; binaries up front, git repos of source files at the back. etc etc.
What i'm suggesting, may be seen as "lowering the bar" :) but i'm interested in ideas  turn the sort of situation some of us have with Adobe, font squirrel, etc, on it's head;  instead of seeing these situations as problems (because these services are not making freely available binary files, or source files), i wonder if it's possible to see advantages instead. One advantage i see is that a font served as a single font object (and not a bundle of license texts, source files etc) is way more mobile, free (as in bird), and able to spread virally. It may be simple a case of adding licensing info with font metadata, and not relying on bundles text files.

ps - someone should build a web service, that pulls the obfuscated OFL's fonts from the Edge / Typekit etc servers, parses them, prepares them, and then builds them back into a OTF, TTF, and a @font-face kit for easy download. Would be cool ;)

-v