[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Treatment of the OFL in the wild

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jun 5 05:38:04 PDT 2013

On 4 June 2013 12:54, Vernon Adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> wrote:
> (a) webfonts, used by css linkage etc and (b) base64 encoded Woff files placed in the users browser cache.
> (a) works well. (b) really sucks. takes extra effort and know-how to pull

Err no, not really?

You can find the data by clicking in a WebKit browser: Develop, Show
Web Inspector, Resources, click a font, see the base64 data, copy it,
paste it into http://www.motobit.com/util/base64-decoder-encoder.asp
and the browser downloads a file.

Its also trivial to do it from the command line.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/178521/how-can-i-decode-a-base64-string-from-the-command-line

> a full, non-subsetted font,

I'm not sure you can, the subsetting is done on the server...

> get at that pulled base64'd font, and eventually, be able to use it for e.g. a print project.
>
> So my point is with (b). I would want my fonts to come out the other end of (b) still fully marked it as a Free font,

They do

> and not as a font that is some sort of orphan.  If OFL fonts are going to be increasingly
> distributed in this way, i think we have to rely more on standalone font files and much
> less on license text files, font log text files, etc.

The requirements are the same if the font is distributed as a
standalone file or as a collection of font files and text files.

--
Cheers