[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Treatment of the OFL in the wild

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 12:13:17 PDT 2013

Well, apart from feeling i might be a bit crazy for seeing this situation in the way i see it :)  i do think it's worth thinking about aspects of it that are 'out there' (Victor's words), because chances are they may be the mundane of tomorrow.

IMO at the moment we are still seeing the 'distribution' of Libre fonts in similar modes to modes we are used to seeing proprietary fonts distributed by; canonical, centralised, and ultimately controlled from a 'top down' approach. The 'top' being the designer, or publisher, or foundry. Proprietary fonts have to go these routes for obvious reasons. Libre fonts do not have to at all, their free-ness makes them inherently viral objects, if you want them to be. I suspect that more viral approaches to distribution may emerge, because they are becoming possible and practical. For example, the situation of 'pulling' fonts out of the browser cache; that action is a legacy from the slightly fudgy situation where the type industry wanted the web market, but didn't want to give fonts away. As a designer of free fonts, i'm stuck with that fudge, despite the fact that the technology actually presents a much more direct way to distribute fonts to users. E.g. instead of users having to jump hurdles to get a fairly useless WOFF file of my fonts,  i would want that a user could a Free font used on any webpage and be able to 1-click to download that font (intact) and so be able to then use it for web, print, whatever. IMO that's how free fonts could be utilised and distributed. It's pretty much exactly what Nathan describes. Select text, right click… "save font as…"  :) Perhaps some browser developers would be interested in this?

The idea that was floated a few years back of a 'permissions table' for (proprietary) webfonts, has allways interested me. It's maybe a shame it was never adopted, as it's a neat idea for how a font can carry all the information it needs to denote it's 'freedom' (or lack of it). Another aspect that may effect webfonts is the 'web DRM'  standards that are on the table with the W3C. It would be interesting if font file formats developed to carry 'freedom' information in a DRM protected web.

-vernon