[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Re: [ft-devel] new CFF engine

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Thu May 2 18:29:18 PDT 2013

I might well do a little of that, not that i have any free time :) …but…
I'm very curious to see how desktop UI fonts render under this new freetype CFF autohinter.

One thing i have noticed when testing UI fonts on android and Chrome (both use a tweaked freetype) is that unhinted truetype fonts render better than ttfautohinted or manual hinted fonts. The freetype bytecode interpreter on those OS's (especially on a hi res screen) seems to result in too harsh rendering with hinted truetype fonts. I'm curious if the new CFF interpreter will bring opentype fonts to the first choice as a UI font.

-v