[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] OFL-FAQ update draft and web fonts paper

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 23 08:55:49 PDT 2013

Hi!

On 23 May 2013 16:21, Vernon Adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> wrote:
> The RFN can have an integral role in how a designer can preserve
> or enhance a certain type of freedom for a font. Or it simply restrict
>  font's freedom. I'm still arguing with myself about it :)

:)

> Reserving the name of the font, sets down a licensing condition
> that must be met. If that condition is not met then the license is breached.
> This is clear when dealing with 1 or 2 a large corporations (who may
> not be interested in preserving the font's freedom); as it gives  3 clear
> solutions for them to use their own modified version of a font;
> 1. Follow the OFL, use the font, change the font's name , and preserve
>  the font's freedom.
> 2. Follow the OFL, use the font, get an agreement from me to use the
>  RFN, and preserve the font's freedom.
> 3. Buy an embedding license from me, use the font non-free, and i
>  preserve the font's freedom.

4. Don't use the fonts, because this is all too complicated.

> Now, with a few large corporations, this is highly manageable.

I am not sure about that.

> But what happens with the mass of individual users and or small
> businesses, who maybe are also making modifications and serving the font ?
> Of course, i can simply decide to ignore the potential mass of
> individual breaches of non-changing of RFN's, and instead simply
> focus on the few 'major' breaches. Bit of a license fudge tho imo.

Are you aware of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel ? Allowing
infringement can make it hard to complain about infringement.

> The argument i have with myself is; why do i feel the use of RFN's
> is not necessary when dealing with masses of individual users,
> but i feel i want it there in case of corporate users?
> It could be that i see that corporate users could easilly afford to
> buy (modestly priced) RFN agreements from me (if they need to
> use the fonts), thus 'giving something back' to the designer of
> the free fonts they are using, and funding future fonts.

Asserting a trademark will carry the same requirement for corporate
users to license the trademark, and corporations already have well
established processes and budgets for licensing trademarks. OFL-RFN is
unusual, complex, and less likely to open that (meagre) jackpot.

Cheers