[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Tom Phinney on Libre Fonts

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 01:17:04 PDT 2013

Pablo clearly 'gets it' :)

I assume that the response from people who "dont get it" would be that you should have both; 'freedom' and 'quality', and i wouldn't argue with that, it's a good target. But...

…designing a font family to the high standards that Thomas has set, takes a lot of time and labour, and real investment in time and labour. There's a reason that major font corporations have rarely produced Free fonts (apart form the fact that they have only just noticed the bandwagon!); they are not able to invest to that extent into a lot of quality fonts that can be given away / altered / redesigned etc, when their business is still more or less still embedded in the 'pay-for-it' model. We have seen some flexing of that, e.g. with Adobe's Source Sans, but it's untypical.

Libre designers can sidestep that resource problem by actively compromising on the usual quality control criteria; lower the 'finish' bar, but get the font out there early, being used and generating feedback, stats, etc. Or, raise the 'finish' bar, but then have to delay release and usage, potentially then wasting resources on a design that you have no usage trends and stats coming back on (i.e. you could spend a year on a dud, a font that no-one uses).

I can talk about my own fonts best; releasing early, getting back the stats, focussing on the most popular to fix and refine, getting back the stats on the refined fonts, focussing on the most popular to add weights & more refinements, and so on and so on. "Room for improvement" is built in, it's an integral function of the design and release process, as you focus your improvements on the designs that are clearly the most popular.

Another factor worth considering; i see big big evidence that a lot of people actively seek out the use of true Free software, especially in connection with web related content. There's possibly a sizeable chunk of people who are savvy about, or have now just grown up with, the 'Free versus Paid-For' dynamic. There is pragmatism too, e.g. use paid if you have no choice, but it's also against a backdrop of a huge adoption wave of people 'not paying'; that ends up as much in streaming music before buying it, as it does in using Libre fonts before using proprietary fonts. The punch for sellers is that people are much more likely to stream free music at a lesser resolution quality, than they are to buy it at a 'full' quality resolution. So with music; the qualities of variety, choice, browserbility, and not paying, is trumping the qualities of hi-fidelity and 'ownership'. Same goes for fonts perhaps. It could be that some of the aspects of 'quality' that Thomas bemoans is lacking in Libre fonts, could be mostly 'surplus' quality, that users have savvilly decided they can do without.

I'm not making this stuff up btw :)  It's all there if you pick up and read the writings of people like Benkler, Shirky, Bruns, Paul Mason, etc etc, a.k.a they know what they are talking about!

PS - It's interesting that Pablo picked up on metal faces. I think it's interesting to look back at old specimens books and notice the 'quality' that was strung across the type industry. The quality faces, we are familar with, as we still use them in digital forms. But alongside them were a plethora of jobbing faces, often of varying degrees of lower quality. Probably knocked together quickly to hook into fads and trends. Or knocked together with constrained resources to compete with the more popular faces of the big foundries. You can especially see this if you look at 'Advertisers' Gothics or Slab Serifs, there were a lot of 'lesser' designs in widespread everyday use. In fact both my fonts Oswald and Rokkitt are built upon a handfull of these lesser known old faces. I think i can say that at least i improved on the originals, even if i haven't yet come up to Thomas's standards, boo-hoo ;)

-v