[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Tom Phinney on Libre Fonts

vernon adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 13:15:46 PDT 2013

Interesting thoughts (as usual) Eric. Thanks.

I think you are right about 'quality as paramount' being a just a 'strategy'. It explains why some designers may consider themselves (and present themeselves) as a purveyor of quality, and yet not necessarily provide such paramount levels of quality in their own products.  And anyway, i'm not sure that the technical quality we are discussing here is really as big a selling point as people think. We live in far more interesting times than that.

If you are only really offering technical quality, then you are maybe pitching your products on the wrong side of todays curve. Just like, it's not possible to sell music just on the fact that the artist is a virtuoso, or that the music was recoded at highest definition. Virtuosity and high definition alone, cannot compete against amateurs and / or lo-fi that contains more slippery qualities such as soul, excitement, rhythm, emotion, freedom... and the list goes on…  In the days before the Music Industry evaporated, the idea that you did not need technical expertise at any stage in the music business to succesfully distribute music to users and listeners, would have been viewed as idiotic. Technology has now made that idiotic idea a very normal way for people to make, distribute, use and listen to music. On top of that, despite the askew claims of a few like David Byrne, the creativity, choice and variety, of music available to everyone now is enormous, compared to the days when the Music Industry was the big gatekeeper of what we could listen to. The same has started happening with type design, just as it has done / will do with many other commercial sectors.

What i would say to also bear in mind is that as more and more 'non-experts' and 'amateurs' join the ranks of the design world, then even the designer-as-the-target-client changes for the type industry. The user swarm is very quickly filling the design industries too. I think i see evidence that the creative and design comminities are generally moving more away from finding meaning in the 'quality as paramount' strategy, and more towards finding paramount meaning in any stuff that really keeps them the right side of the creative curve. And it's not due to a lowering of standards or non-education, it's the opposite; people are maybe becoming more sophisticated, fine-tuned, and discriminating in their tastes as they become exposed to more and more alternative narratives of what is 'good' and what is 'bad'.

-vernon