[OpenFontLibrary] MajorVersion MinorVersion

Eric Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Mon Sep 23 01:07:18 PDT 2013

On 23-09-13 08:06, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:24:34PM +0200, Eric Schrijver wrote:
>> Majorversion Minorversion (ints) is rather restrictive (I like to
>> have Major Minor Patch version) And I remember some story about
>> windows not handeling Majorversion < 1 correctly?
>>
>> A proper free font takes it time before reaching version 1 :)
> I have been releasing fonts with < 1 version all the time, no issues
> were reported related to this (though I don’t use UFO and have no idea
> what its versions map to in SFNT fonts).
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Hey Khaled.

Thanks. So I guess I am a bit lost here. My more general question, I
think, is in FontForge, what are the different kind of versions I can
set, what are their limitations, and what do map to in an OTF?

I remember I found something of a MajorVersion MinorVersion dialog in
FontForge (that warned me when I set the Major Version to 0). But it is
no longer there.

For now there is:

PS NAMES -> Version
PS NAMES -> sfnt Revision
TTF NAMES -> Version

These are all strings no?

When I open my UFO, only TTF Names -> Version is set. This is also the
version I see when I create an OTF and open it with Gnome’s font preview
[1].

Is there more metadata I can/should set?

Thanks!

[1]
http://i.liketightpants.net/and/assets/called/openbaskerville_metadata.png