[OpenFontLibrary] MajorVersion MinorVersion

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Sep 23 09:06:19 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 04:30:47PM +0200, Eric Schrijver wrote:
> On 23-09-13 16:16, Dave Crossland wrote:
> >On 23 September 2013 15:52, Eric Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net> wrote:
> >>How do other Open Source font projects deal with their version numbers? Any
> >>best practices?
> >semver.org
>
> I’m aware of semver.org—that’s where I picked up the terminology
> Major, Minor, Patchversion.
>
> At the same time, actually following semver is rather difficult
> because I’m not sure its software concepts are easy mappable to
> fonts:
>
> 1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,

For fonts, I consider metric-incompatible changes to be comparable to
this. But some people never do metric-incompatible changes once a font
is released.

> 2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible
>    manner, and
> 3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Unless you are making bug-fix only releases, I think you don’t need
patch releases, and even if you do, that granularity is not really that
important for fonts.

Regards,
Khaled