[OpenICC] monitor/videocard identification

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Dec 6 20:17:08 EST 2004

Am 06.12.04, 06:34 +1100 schrieb Graeme Gill:

> Ben Guthro wrote:
> > I have been looking into a solution such as this for the past couple of
> > years
> >
> > knowing which monitor is attached to which graphics card, associated
> > with what coordinates  has been a problem under *nix in my development
> > so far for a display calibration system.
>
> Apple has a fairly clean interface under Quartz for interfacing to calibration
> software, see
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/Quartz_Services_Ref/index.html>.
>
> It's unclear whether it wraps things like DDC though (it would be good if it did, rather
> than forcing every piece of calibration software to have to reinvent the wheel.)

At least to set the VCGT tag is done automatically by osX. And the OS
autodetects new hardware and sets the appropriate profile, which is really
nice.

> The OSX display profile setting uses ColorSync (of course - see
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/ColorSync_Manager/colorsync_mgr_ref/function_group_4.html>
> ).

Is an similiar ID present in X? Would be the target we search for. What
kind of is it MD5 in osX? - arranged from card/monitor would be ok for the
CMS.
If we could actively change brightness/contrast, the CMS could make shure
the device is calibrated or at least throw an warning about possible
failures.

> It would be nice to see any X11 solution be at least as clean as this.

This seems only partitially possible to let an more competent library (X
itself or an hardware detection lib) decide what devices are running in
what combination. As Oyranos never knowy what displaying services else are
running (OpenGL, fbdev ..?) it seems to be allways out of control of the
CMS. Oyranos can only hope that all players will consider using the
configuration information and provide functionallity to apply it.

> Graeme Gill.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas