[Openicc] Re: [Lcms-user] Re: [Gimp-developer] Color Management was GEGL development/gimp integration

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jan 5 05:12:50 EST 2005

Hello Hal and List
As an colormanagement consultant, I mostly read only the lcms-list to
see what is going on in the open source-scene.

You described following steps as minimum:

 > 1. Embed device profiles in acquired images.
 > 2. Convert images to my working color space or between profiles.
 > 3. Correctly display the image while working on it.
 > 4. Convert the image to the correct printer profile while printing the
 > image.

This is a very good description, what colormanagement should do for most
of the users.

1 and 2 should be handled by image-aquisation applications. For GIMP it
would be fine to have the option to assign a profile and to do an
explicit tconversion from an assigned profile to an destination profile,
if the image aquisition can´t handle the this stuff.

3 should be handled by GIMP, but the monitorprofile should be defined on
system-level-

4 should be handled by the printer driver. Here GIMP-Print has an
opportunity which is far better then standard-drivers for MacOSX or
Windows. GIMP-Print can drive Printers in CMYK, which allows
high-quality profiling. The printer-profile should be connected with the
media/driver settings. So if the uses is chhosing a media/diver setting
the corresponding profile (standard or individual made) should be used.

I also want to ad the point

5 systemwide colorsettings
If colorsettings are defined on systemlevel, it is much easier to get
consistent color over differnt applications. On system-level should be
defined:

standard setting
- RGB working space
- CMYK working space
(Rendering Intent relativ colorimetric with blackpoint compensation is
always used)

In this scenario colormanagement could be completly hided from the
standard user, if image aquisation applications are coming with
standard-device-profiles and transform to the standard working space
defined at systemlevel (eg. sRGB or AdobeRGB) GIMP uses the standard
workingspace-profile and the monitor-profile on systemlevel. The
printer-driver is converting from the actual working space to the
profile for the media-settings

Advanced features:
- Setting rendering Intents for converting into and from the working space.
- CMYK-softproof for working in RGB and displaying transformation to
CMYK working space

Making colormanagement easy is mainly a task of coordinating the
implemtation for
- CM on System level
- CM at image aquisition
- CM at application
- CM at printer drivers

The complexity is mostly a problem that programmers in this field don´t
coordinate their work, and the user can´t understand were
colortransformations are applied during daily working

Greetings from berlin
:-) Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358