[Openicc] GIMP color management

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Mon Feb 21 08:52:44 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 01:40:45PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Carol Spears wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:47:38PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> >>I agree with Bob in the library question. As an non monolythic system,
> >>linux will not have one imaging library, doing all sorts of image
> >>handling. The idea is nice but hardly applicable. (Even if in cairo
> >>exists one of the rare candidates.)
> >>
> >i do not like MPL.  i don't even know a good reason not to like it, i
> >just don't.  it might be for something stupid like i did not fall asleep
> >during the mpl'd talks i attended.
>
> In what way does your like/dislike of a particular license have a
> bearing on a discussion of a color management model for open source
> applications/systems?  This is so "off the wall", I am left confused.

it is alright for you to not understand the license issues and in fact,
i even respect you for this.  possibly, the confusing part is that i was
reacting to Kai-Uwe (who should be a friend i made on the irc)'s mention
of cairo.  I tried to say to him that there is a time and place for
cheating and stealing and lying.  it should not be cairo and for some
reason, it is.  i dont want to discuss licenses, i did my research.

there are some license people on the list however.  i suggest you just
keep looking away when it starts to confuse you.

> I think that there is much to be learned from the Linux Standard Base
> Project (http://www.linuxbase.org/).  While there is sure to be
> considerable variation between libraries and applications serving
> similar functions, if the common parts can be nailed down and agreed
> to, then multiple libraries/applications may behave similarly on the
> same system since they can share profiles, device information, and CMS
> configuration options.

yes.  here we go.  i will look at the linux software that has a creative
commons license on it.  it is the only way i know to look backwards with
the licensing mess i am in.  please forgive me.

Kai-Uwe suggested cairo in the way i am used to seeing software
suggestions.  i said no the only way i know how to.  do you have
knowledge of any software mentioned on
http://www.linuxbase.org/ that is licensed through creativecommons.org?

> In order to accomplish this we need a common and reliable way to:
>
>  o Identify managed devices.
>  o Associate profiles with devices or the desired working space.
>  o Manage shared configuration data, in a heirarchical way
>    (network level, system level, user level, task level).
>
> The scheme needs to work in a semi-fixed structure like Linux Standard
> Base, or in individually configured/built environments (offset from
> user-specifed specified installation prefix such as /usr/local).  An
> XML-based configuration file format seems ideal.

i have been reading the color stuff lately and trying to concentrate on
it.  it looks to me like for the cost of 2000 individual prints, and a
day with a colormetric scanner, you can profile the printer to get the LAB
colors and that is all you need from your printer.  after that it is an
issue with who has the best layout for the tables and who picked their
samples the best.

and that would be the subjective point.  who has the best table layout
and who has the best sample selection.  when i ditch 98% of the users by
telling them to look at their monitor and look at where they are getting
their prints from, i think that gimp and its developers will be able to
sort through the few remaining problems very easily and use tools that
have been available since gimp-1.0 that i know of.

i have more to read still.  or i need to still read more.  it is very
interesting what i see and read about color.

thanks,
carol

(is it still premature to say "all your base are mine" or is this
overdue?)