[Openicc] color-policy / RGB to CMYK

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Mar 2 05:50:55 EST 2005

Hello Graeme, hello list
What I wanted to describe is a much more simple task:

Imagine SVG vectorgraphics (may be from Inksacpe) are placed in Scribus
and should be converted to CMYK for Offsetprinting (SWOP).
If the free available SWOP-profile from Adobe is used as outputprofile
in Scribus, all RGB-gray or RGB-black is converted to CMYK-colors with
each channel containing some color. This happens because of the fixed
black-generation in an CMYK ICC-profile.
If the user wants RGB-gray or RGB-black only converted to the
black-channel of the CMYK-output, he needs a version of the SWOP-profile
with maximum GCR.
With argyllcms, it would be possible to open an existing CMYK-profile
and save it with a new black generation.
So the Scribus-User could open the Standard-SWOP-profile, changing the
GCR-Setting to max and Save an new profile "SWOPgcrmax.icc"
Now, he can use this profile in Scribus for separating his SVG
vectorgraphics.

So the functionality of changing the black generation in an
ICC-CMYK-profile is something, which is useful for all softwares,
targeting the graphics arts market.

A second big market is e.g. producing CMYK-PDF from docbook-manuals.
In manuals, you have often a lot of screenshots. If Screenshots should
be printed in offset, RGB-black should stay pure CMYK-black.

This are quite normal tasks in print production. There is nothing
special concerning performance. The user has once (!!) to recalculate
the ICC-profile with maxGCR, which takes may be some minutes. Later he
can use this profile like all other CMYK-profiles for RGB->CMYK conversions.

:-) Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358
Kastanienallee 71 ------- http://www.colormanagement.de