[Openicc] color-policy / RGB to CMYK

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Mar 2 14:20:01 EST 2005

At 09:41 PM 3/1/2005, Graeme Gill wrote:
>But you aren't correcting for the device response! You at least
>need a 1D curve to gamut compress and adjust between source
>and destination responses.

         Which is fine if that's your intent, sure.  But in most cases,
gray/black is just that (esp. in CMYK/4c).  Otherwise, you start to enter
the world of rich black - or deal with spot colors.

>>         Yes, but it's also a complex operation that most users won't
>> understand.  Most folks don't get color management as is - and adding
>> something like Black Gen is just going to confuse them...
>
>So what ? Is the choice really just between simple and wrong, or
>confusing and right ?

         Possibly.

         Depends on who you believe your users are, what your goals are for
the software, project timeframe/milestones, etc.

>  How about actually taking on the challenge of creating user interfaces
> and documentation that allow serious users the control they need, and not
> confusing those who have
>more moderate demands ?
         I think it's an important challenge - but is it one that has to be
tackled at the start, or that can be "phased in" over time...

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr at pdfsages.com>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                              215-938-0880 (fax)