[Openicc] Re: color-policy vs. color-infrastructure

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Mar 17 15:06:01 EST 2005

Stefan Döhla wrote:
> All gamut warning is therefore not exact. It is meant to be a tool
> which shows problems that might occur for the selected color.

That's not strictly true. By checking a PCS against a direct inversion,
it's possible to accurately determine whether a color is in gamut or not.

For instance, if you use my xicclu utility, it will accurately warn if a given
PCS is out of gamut.
(e.g. for a CMYK profile with a 320% TAC, absolute intent, something like:
  xicclu -fif -ia -l320 -pl -a profile.icm
  and then feed the L*a*b* values in, one line at a time.
  Any out of gamut values will return the nearest device values and
  an annotation [Clipped].)

This is not a quick method though.