[Openicc] Color management in gimp - not really

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Apr 4 07:54:35 EST 2005

Am 03.04.05, 22:07 +0200 schrieb Craig Bradney:

> Whos dream is that? Gimp is one of the programs Scribus relies on (as theres

Isn't this a configureable option in Scribus to select an external editor?

> no PS etc on Linux). Gimp has the user basem and many of them need it
to move
> into this domain.

Colour professionals went to CinePaint (our booth) and web designers and
of course many hobbyists to GIMP.

A anecdote with GIMP development is, the team took a toolkit version
change (gtk1 -> gtk2) to do the havily critizised major number change for
GIMP-2.0 .
It was long promised that this special version change remains reserved
for GEGL integration. (GEGL was decided to support selectable bit depths
and colour spaces but will not been finished soon.)
The new gtk2 look and feel , with 8-bit TGB core, can indeed be important
for a web editor.

Hal states here possibilities for GIMP, which are very contrary to my own
discouraging experiences with GIMP development.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas