[Openicc] Color management in gimp - not really

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Apr 5 00:13:31 EST 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> This means: there's a chance that GIMP gets a color management system
>> that's good enough for the mainstream user. As soon as CMYK and other
>> color spaces enter GIMP, experience from the soon available RGB-based
>> CMS is valuable for the next steps: doing things how they were always
>> supposed to be ...
>
> Why wait? Use CinePaint in 8-bit mode and you have most of GIMP + a CMS .

8-bit mode?  I have been told that at least 10 or 12 bits of storage
capability may be necessary to avoid visible defects when applying
color management transforms to the image data.  This is particularly
true for grayscale images.  Naturally, the image reproduction path may
also need to offer this additional resolution.

If only the display color is managed (image colorspace is not
altered), then the results should be ok since most displays don't
offer more than a 8 bit path anyway.

Bob