[Openicc] Color management in gimp - not really

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Tue Apr 5 09:04:47 EST 2005

At 09:13 AM 4/4/2005, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>8-bit mode?  I have been told that at least 10 or 12 bits of storage
>capability may be necessary to avoid visible defects when applying color
>management transforms to the image data.

         No, 8 bits is more than enough for most operations.   It's usually
an issue of things such as gamma compression, black point compensation,
etc. that cause problems more than number of bits of accuracy.

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr at pdfsages.com>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                              215-938-0880 (fax)