[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Sun Apr 10 10:31:08 EST 2005

Robert L Krawitz schrieb:

>The harder problem is when your application simply
>generates Postscript and hands it off to CUPS (or
>LPRng, or whatever).

Actually I see one more problem in this context:

So far, only color management in the gimp-print driver has been
considered. But if the driver performs color management, how does it
cooperate with the PostScript color management?

PostScript level 2 and 3 define color management functionality, and any
PostScript document may legally use it, for instance CIE-based color
spaces, which are of course expected to be rendered correctly by a
"PostScript level 3 printer" (i.e. ghostscript + driver + printer in our
case). IMO particularly color managed applications which produce
PostScript or PDF output may likely use these particular PostScript or
PDF features.

Ghostscript does support the PostScript level 2+3 color management
features (color space arrays, color rendering dictionaries, CIE-based
color spaces, remapping of device color spaces to CIE-based color
spaces, ...), but in order that ghostscript's PS color management works
as specified in the PLRM, my understanding is that all color
transformations need to be carried out _by ghostscript_ (and not in the
driver), and gs eventually sends only the final DeviceCMYK values (or
whatever ProcessColorModel is used) to the driver. Of course this also
requires, that a CRD for the printer (that's more or less the PostScript
equivalent of the printer's ICC profile), and maybe also transfer
functions (for device linearization), need to be passed (as PostScript
program) to ghostscript, together with the document being printed.

Btw, though ghostscript's CIE-based color rendering basically works
pretty well, I'm still not fully convinced with the quality. The color
rendering quality of gs 8.xx seems to be _much_ better than gs 7.xx, but
applying ICC profiles directly to an image (with LCMS or Argyll) and
sending the resulting DeviceCMYK image as PS file to ghostscript gives
IMO still better results, than ghostscript't CIE-based color
transformations.

Regards,
Gerhard