[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Apr 10 16:36:30 EST 2005

Am 09.04.05, 21:37 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

> To summarize what I think I'm hearing:
>
> 1) Linearization should be performed in the driver.
>
> 2) Device ICC profiling should be done in a layer between the driver
>    and the application (Ghostscript for applications that generate
>    Postscript, or libgutenprintui for applications that use the UI
>    provided by Gutenprint).
>
> Do people agree with this?

Agreed.

Sounds like an good direction if CUPS will transport some information:
- sending a custom linearistation profile to Gutenprint
- request a gamut profile from the CMS layer (kind of an other issue)

For point 2, I'd like to say, an shell script or the like could be used to
do the transformation to pixel data (contrary to postscript/pdf or svg).
It should be part of the OS CMS.
This gives some degree of flexibility. Libgutenprintui would not be the
right place to do such stuff directly or must become part of the CMS, wich
seems not very comfortable to me.

This leads to several scenarios:
o applications doing CM (as well called early binding, CinePaint..)
  - pixel image -> CUPS -> Gutenprint:linearisation ++

o CM as part of the spooler system (late binding):
  A vector imagery (Scribus pdf..) -> CUPS -> renderer (ghostscript..) ->
      Gutenprint:linearisation ++
  B pixel imagery (jpeg, tiff..) -> CUPS -> renderer (CMS - lcms..) ->
      Gutenprint:linearisation ++
.. more?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann