[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 11 08:00:23 EST 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

>   From what I see, the role of application software stops at
>   producing RGB or CMYK output, after which the image (or document)
>   is passed to the printer driver for any additional processing.
>
> But what's the interpretation of the RGB or CMYK data?  Is it sRGB, or
> some other color space?  If I tell you that my RGB values are
> (101,176,82), what is the exact color that my eyes see?

That is why there is a CMS profile associated with the data provided
by the applications.  This makes the interpretation of the RGB or CMYK
values concrete.

A function of a color management *system* is to define the boundaries
of responsibility.  While it is possible for complexity to propagate
to any level of a system, successful systems isolate complexities to
the portion of the system that they apply to.  Using this model,
complicated issues related to printing should be isolated to the
printing subsystem.  Likewise, complicated issues related to
displaying an image on the screen should be isolated to the display
system.

The complexity exposed by the printing system should be no more than
is actually needed in order to achieve the quality and performance
objectives.  Since this list is intended to discuss the system level
implications and implementation of a color management system, we
should be attempting to identify what the interface between the
applications and the printing system must look like in order to meet
requirements.  I expect that this interface will not require more than
RGB or CMYK in order to satisfy requirements.

Bob