[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Apr 12 15:23:02 EST 2005

Stefan Döhla wrote:
> I don't completely agree on this. The light inks do not really extend
> the gamut but are intended to have better light tones. In more expensive
> RIPs, you can set a threshold or mixture of the light and dark inks.

Such arrangements don't fully exploit the possibilities of light inks.
Combinations of light inks and other colors do actually extend
the gamut of a device. For an illustration of this, take a look
at <http://web.aanet.com.au/gwg/test8.wrl> with a VRML capable browser.
This is a gamut surface of a Roland 8 color (CMYKOGcm) printer.

In practice light inks will probably go away though, as dots
get smaller. The R800/R1800 seem to be the start of this trend.