[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint]

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 13 09:44:03 EST 2005

   Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:50:42 +0200
   From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456 at gmx.de>

   Michael Sweet schrieb:

   > Yes, however when you do "lp file.ps" with CUPS, a copy of the file
   > is sent "over the wire" to cupsd, which stores it in the spool
   > directory.  The filters never use your copy of the file...

   Of course. Couldn't the same be done for "user private" profiles or
   possibly also other "blobs" which supplement a print job?
   (i.e. send a temporary copy to cupsd, which does not disclose it to
   anybody else (unless root, of course), and deletes the copy after
   rendering).

That's the solution I'd like to see myself.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton