[Openicc] Re: LINUX, Gutenprint / CUPS / Color policies

almccart at lexmark.com almccart at lexmark.com
Thu Apr 14 04:16:32 EST 2005

Greetings List,

I have recently joined - and am quite interested in the current
conversation.
As some of you may know, the ICC has a Workflow WG and we are currently
working on writing down system level requirements for color management
-  intentionally not of current implementations but rather "what it should
be."

Jan-Peter's comments point out some of the issues with color management
in systems today.

>Actually, we have four possibilities to apply and use profiles
>during the printing process:
>
>- colormanagement in the application
>- colormanagement with an ICC to CSA/CRD conversion during Ripping
>- colormanagement as CUPS-Filter on rasterized data
>- colormanagement as part of the printer-driver e.g. gutenprint

Also in earlier posts I saw discussions about metadata carried with the
content file, profiles
carried with or referenced from the content file, etc.

I have been thinking about this for some time - and the color space
dependent policy approach
does not appear robust to handle the variety of workflows and use cases
that do exist and need
to exist - even though I agree that such policy approaches are all we have
to work with today.
Unfortunately, the caveat of  "if they know what they want, and if they organize
their workflow properly" is large enough to drive a truck through. The current failures and
unexpected results with mixed color type object documents are often due to
incompatible 'policy'
assumptions at various points in workflows and distributed image paths.

What is needed to get beyond the limitations of color space dependent
policies - and is becoming
at least conceivably practical - is metadata that records what has been
done to color objects - and
is carried with those color objects.

It is a fact that color management can and does occur in all of the above
functional areas
in a workflow.  It is a fact that in functional area X it is impossible to
know the correct next
color management operation without some information about what was done
before - even if you
know the color encoding. FYI - refer to 'image state' related papers on
the ICC website and in
ISO 22028.

The equation should be:
"what was done before" + "what the user wants to accomplish" => "small
number of good options"
In some cases the 'small number of good options' is one - in which case
the user does not have
to pick anything after having indicated what they want to accomplish.

So for example:
caseA: A digital camera image (initially encoded in camRGB) is converted
to a working space-WS
(e.g., LAB or a wide gamut RGB working space) using a combination of a  V4
camRGB profile -
perceptual rendering intent - and a WS color space profile - relative
colorimetric rendering intent.
In the near future (with new V4 profiles) - that will mean that the image
in WS has been color-rendered to
the ISO print-referred reference medium gamut.
caseB: On the other hand, if a digital camera image (initially encoded in
camRGB) is converted to WS
using a combination of a  V4 camRGB profile - relative colorimetric
rendering intent - and a WS color
space profile - relative colorimetric rendering intent -- then the image
will still be referenced to the
camRGB tbd~monitor shaped gamut.

So -- the user wants to print to a wide gamut printer - if case A --
probably the relative colorimetric
rendering intent of the printer profile will give good results. If case B
- you will need to use the
perceptual rendering intent of that printer profile.

Note that - it sounds from the example as though V4 is adding complexity -
this is not the case.
Before version 4 and PRMG - the rendering conditions resulting from
various profiles and their
rendering intents were less predictable and so did not lend themselves to
"do next" policies.

So - actually - the policies can become: given the image state, cm
history, and encoding - plus -
what the user wants to do (in terms of the characteristics of the
destination and certain preference
aspects)  - recommend '2 -- N' number of options -or- just do the one
right thing. The GUI presents
the results of the under-the-hood policy assessment.

I hope the above is not too far off topic.  If it is possible to move in
the direction of such metadata,
it seems practically conceivable to encode such metadata in something like
xml, for example.
Such file formats as VDX, and PDF now support such xml metadata - and
there are probably others?
Also, certain job control - such as JDF - allows for xml extensions.

Regards,
Ann McCarthy
Chair, ICC Workflow WG
Chair, ICC Developer Conference '05