[Openicc] LINUX, Gutenprint / CUPS / Color policies

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Fri Apr 15 00:10:25 EST 2005

Hello Mike, hello list
As I wrote, in the last mail, I recommend strongly to do
colortransformtions for individual objects in the application, where the
complete document is build.

colormanagement for documents, where each object can hav his own profile
makes only sense, if the applications for document-cration has following
features:
- softproof of all objects with correct use of profiles and intents
- flattening object-color to one document-colorspace during file-export
- flattening object-color to one document-colorspace during printing

In this case, the printerdriver will get flat-color objects, which it
can transform.

The key of transparent and professional colormanagement for printing is
a printerdriver, which allows linearization and use of profiles
according the media/driver-setting.

All other solutions are workarounds, because a lot of printer-drivers
are today dumb in the field of color management.

As gutenprint is coming more and more near to an ideal printerdriver, we
should support to do printer colormanagement here.

if we have a queue
application->CUPS->Ghostscript->Gutentprint we need technology, that
Gutenprints automaticly gets the document-colorspace, from the
application, which is sending the data.

This is transparent an easy configurable colormanagement for printing.

:-) Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358
Kastanienallee 71 ------- http://www.colormanagement.de