[Openicc] printing GUI vs. printerdriver, LINUX colorinfrastructure

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon Apr 18 09:56:59 EST 2005

At 08:33 AM 4/16/2005, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
>The printerdriver is driving the printer directly.

         As was pointed out by someone else - there are two types of
"printer drivers" in existance today.  One that converts from application
API calls to some form of page description language (PDL) (eg. Postscript
or PDF) - this is what GnomePrint, the KDE print manager, the Adobe PS
driver on Windows, etc. do.   The second is responsible for the hardware
connectivity to the printer.

         In our discussions, the latter is not important (we don't care how
the bytes get to the device) - only the former is...

>  Mainly this is the rasterization for the printed dots, some kind of
> colormanagement

         Conversion of application API calls and/or PDL to a raster image
are done either by a RIP OR in the actual printing device (eg. Postscript
printer).

         Many RIPs have integrated color management.  This is esp.
important in RIPs for languages like Postscript and PDF - where (as has
been noted before) individual objects may be described in different
colorspaces.  The "flattening" of the colorspaces needs to take place in
this process OR potentially somewhere up the workflow with native language
processing tools (eg. a PDF/X compliance system).

>As described in mails before, we have four main possibilities to transform
>color for printing:
>1. colormanagement in the application
>2. colormanagement as CUPS-filter
>3. colormanagement with CSA/CRD in the PostScript-RIP
>4. colormanagement in the printerdriver

         True, though I doubt #4 actually happens (assuming you mean driver
as hardware controller). If you mean the app->PDL component, then yes, that
can include color management.

>In the printing GUI, the user should specify, which way of colormanagement
>he is using.

         I don't see how that is possible...

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr at pdfsages.com>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                              215-938-0880 (fax)