[Openicc] Print-colormanagement, application->CUPS->gutenprint

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 19 00:05:56 EST 2005

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> - Has CUPS a possibility to get the document-colorspace automaticly from
> an application ?

Most of the file formats that CUPS supports allow ICC profiles (or
some other form of color profile) to be embedded in the file.  So,
yess, you can pass the source profile with the print job, embedded
in your print file.

> - Has CUPS the possibillity to specify a rendering intent for printing ?

Not at present, however we will be proposing IPP attributes to
the PWG for this in the nearish future.

> - Has CUPS the possibility to transport the document-colorspace and the
> rendering-intent to gutenprint ?

Short answer: The rendering intent will be available on the
command-line, the source/document colorspace is not available to
the raster driver (Gutenprint).

Long answer: The driver never sees the "document colorspace" since
it gets a rasterized version of the document in the destination
colorspace specified through the PPD file.  An application might
automatically choose a ColorModel in the PPD file appropriate for
the current document (Adobe-defined values are Gray, RGB, and CMYK)
however the driver can only use the destination colorspace (along
with any other options the driver provides in the PPD file) as a
hint - you won't know what the original colorspace was unless you
parse the document yourself.

> - Has gutenprint the possibility to get the document-colorspace and
> rendering-intent from CUPS automaticly ?

See my answer to the previous question.