[Openicc] profile-configuration, application, CUPS, Ghostscript, Gutenprint

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 19 21:38:52 EST 2005

   Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:17:06 +0200
   From: Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de>

   hello list

   I learned a lot the last days from reading the openn-icc list.

   If we are talking about colormanagement for printing, we have often a
   chain of

   application->CUPS->GhostScript->Gutenprint

   In ths chain, the most usable points for doing print-colormanagement are

   1) Gutenprint
   2) Combination of CUPS / GhostScript

How about doing it in both (CUPS/Ghostscript outputs data in a wide
gamut intermediate color space, and Gutenprint applies a print
profile)?

   At last I have some questions according Gutenprint:

   1) How can the user specify the settings for a printjob, when
   Gutenprint is running on a server in the network ?

This is an unsolved problem.

   2) How is this GUI for such a "Gutenprint-client" connected to CUPS ?

The Print plugin for the GIMP/Cinepaint simply sends raw data to
CUPS.  That's the only "GUI-based Gutenprint client" that exists.

   3) How far is the implementation of littleCMS in Gutenprint ?

Nowhere, so far.

   4) How far is the association of profiles and linearization-files
   in Gutenprint ?

Nowhere, so far.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton