[Openicc] Print-colormanagement, application->CUPS->gutenprint

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 20 09:48:01 EST 2005

   Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:11:53 -0400
   From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>

   Hal V Engel wrote:
   > I think some of us are confusing getting fairly good colors on
   > printed output with color management.  ...

   No, I'm not, but that is, quite frankly, the ultimate goal of any
   color management.

   Your complaint that you can't plug in any profile and any ink set
   into your printer and get Gimp/Gutenprint to take it without
   hacking the driver isn't valid, IMHO, since at the driver level you
   need to manage printer-specific details including the valid modes
   and inks that the printer supports.  The trend in modern inkjet
   printers is movement AWAY from third-party ink set support, and so
   any device you use with a custom ink set usually must be treated as
   a custom device - you can't always just plug in a different profile
   that maps the inks differently and expect everything to work.

That's another RFE for Gutenprint (or at least the family drivers
within it) -- convert the printer description data from stuff that's
compiled in to something that can be specified in XML files.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton