[Openicc] profile-configuration, application, CUPS, Ghostscript, Gutenprint

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 20 10:41:23 EST 2005

Hal V Engel wrote:
> I am not sure why Gutenprint would need to make any assumptions about the
> color space of the raster image it is being handed.  Shouldn't Gutenprint be
> getting the raster image in a printer model specific or custom device
> specific color space rather than a generic color space like sRGB?  If

Normally, yes, however when printing in RGB mode it makes sense to
specify a particular colorspace, and sRGB *is* the standard colorspace
for web pages, most digital cameras, and many scanners.

Ultimately, future drivers may leave this mapping from sRGB to device
colorspace in the hands of the RIP via ICC profiles, but *right now*
I think it makes sense to define the default RGB colorspace (if
supported) as sRGB so that we maintain a minimum level of functionality.

> Besides sRGB is really a generic monitor profile and it does not have a wide
> enough gamut to handle the full range of colors that are possible with, at
> least some, current printers.  I have compared the gamut maps of my printer's
> custom profiles to sRGB and I would lose some of my yellow and blue gamut if

IIRC, the color gamut provided by current Epson inks (the only ones
I've seen graphed) intersects with sRGB but they each cover different
extremes.  In any case, if you are starting with sRGB, you don't lose
anything by printing using a driver's "native" sRGB support.

Just to make things clear: I am not advocating sRGB as the PCS for
general color management.  I merely am saying that the default RGB
colorspace should be sRGB, and if the driver supports RGB it should
be sRGB as well.