[Openicc] Colormanagement in Gutenprint

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Apr 21 06:32:27 EST 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Carol Spears wrote:

> maybe i am completely wrong, but it seems to me that there is
> uncertainty regarding color profiles now.  meaning, if you are not using
> a specific chain of software that ends with a printer that has been
> professionally installed and calibrated you are not getting color
> management.  and this is a price we are paying because it was not set up
> simple and easy to begin with.

That is not quite true.  If the user puts his display in the "sRGB"
setting (or uses a vendor-provided display profile), ensures that the
display grayscale is visibly linear across the range, and there is a
vendor-provided profile for the printer, there can still be helpful
color management, it just may not be very accurate.

The situation is certainly no worse than assuming that all RGB is
"sRGB".

Bob