[Openicc] printing GUI vs. printerdriver, LINUX colorinfrastructure

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Apr 21 16:13:42 EST 2005

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> So you suggest to have all the profiles on bord? and select the best
> matching by the desired print options or
>
> do you suggest to average calibrations to get one profile for comparable
> settings (for instance include all print resolutions into one profile)?

I was thinking that whoever creates provided profiles would normally
create them for the most useful or commonly used papers and modes,
and let the matching system cope with lesser used modes.

Experience indicates that often the dot gain for all except the highest
1 or 2 dpi are going to be similar enough that a calibration system
would cover the difference. In such a situation one might create only
2 or 3 profiles of a particular paper/mode combination to cover
all possible dpi, and expect to get reasonably acceptable results.
Similar compromises may be possible with some of the different
paper stocks.

Of course home users don't often have the necessary tools to do
calibration (although a scanner might be pressed into service in this
regard, if there was a way of calibrating the scanner! This is a hard
problem to solve, since the spectral response of a scanner can be
quite different to an instrument, and the spectral characteristics of
a widely available standard like an IT8.7/2 is likely to be quite
different to an inkjet or laser printer).