[Openicc] Hello *and* (was): LINUX, Gutenprint / CUPS / Color policies

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 11 09:10:06 EST 2005

Hello list,

My name is Chris Murphy, and my company name it Color Remedies, based
in Boulder, CO. Perhaps I'm best known as co-author for Real World
Color Management (1st and 2nd editions), published by Peachpit press.
However my day job is as a trainer and consultant of most things
color management. I will probably just lurk, but every now and then
something is sure to get me going prolifically.

In attempting to learn a little bit what this list is about, and
topics of the moment, I came across the following that I'd like to
comment on:

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Apr 14 08:11:41 PDT 2005

> Actually, no, that isn't the key.  The printer driver could be a
> relatively dumb program that has no concept of color management and
> just pushes bits around.
>
> The key is to track the colorspace meta data (either a well-known
> colorspace like sRGB or an application-defined profile) so that an
> accurate (or acceptable facsimile) reproduction of those colors can
> be done on the output device.

The lack of understanding this very thing, by Adobe, Apple and
Microsoft, is what has caused a horribly confusing and inconsistent
color management user interface and user experience. To this very
day, when you prematch data in Photoshop (for example) to a specific
output device profile, Photoshop submits that data as untagged to the
OS. On OS X 10.3.x, a PDF spool file is produced by the OS. The OS in
turn refuses to allow the concept of untagged data, so it tags it
with a bogus profile - Generic RGB. The result is a PDF spool file
that is borked for the purpose of soft proofing because its
incorrectly tagged, and it also requires a square dance under a full
moon with the dog, the pig, and the pony in order to get subsequent
settings in the print driver correctly set. Choosing a color
management setting OTHER THAN ColorSync in the print driver causes
the OS to use Generic RGB as the destination profile. Since source is
Generic RGB, and destination is Generic RGB, you get a null transform
of this prematched data. But both source and destination tags are
totally bogus, and must be bogus, in order for this to work (which is
why apps that prematch data, like Photoshop, submit untagged data; if
they submitted tagged data, you'd get an unwanted conversion by the
OS even if you explicitly do not ask for one).

In effect, the color management systems on these two OS's assume
either untagged data, or normalized data (to a single space), but not
prematched data which all of the major desktop publishing
applications do (Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXPress, etc.). It is
possible for ICC-based color management to occur twice.

So I agree with Michael, the key is tracking the metadata. This means
there are a number of responsibilities on application developers so
that their app does the "right thing" when it comes to preserving
this metadata, honoring it (usually by default), while having logical
ways to ignore it (i.e. there are reasons to ignore embedded CMYK
profiles in favor of something else, and generally that's not the
case with RGB), and either normalizing content to a particular color
space, or making the OS aware of the source profile associated with
each object.

There are all sorts of applications on Mac OS and Windows that have
no idea what ICC profiles are in TIFF files, and if you open them and
resave them as TIFF or JPEG or whatever, the metadata (the ICC
profile) is dumped. This is inexcusable behavior for the year 2005 on
modern operating systems, yet here we are. So I'm hoping that these
kinds of problems can be avoided in the future, on any platform.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor