[Openicc] Oyranos - proof of concept

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 12 15:18:26 EST 2005

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Apr 22 12:34:37 PDT 2005

> The smaller matrix profiles are prefered by current CMS's. They are
> about
> 1-6kB. But I expect the CLUT become desireable for modern LCD's. Please
> can one of the profiling experts correct me if I am wrong here.

In theory, if we had well behaved flat panel displays, a matrix profile
works just as well. My experience has been that table-based display
profile cause profile-induced posterization that's noticeable in
gradients.

However, displays that aren't so well behaved require more effort to
calibrate in terms of gray balance and a reasonable white point which
translates into a more aggressive curve in the video card DAC LUT. This
can cause calibration-induced posterization.

If we had full system level display compensation, we could avoid
video-card based calibration altogether and simply profile the display
using table-based ICC profile rather than matrix, and compensate for
its peculiarities with brute force. That's a little expensive until we
can dump all of these conversions onto the video card (which I believe
is on the way).

In the meantime, what I'm really enamored with are the Eizo flat panel
displays that allow calibration to be done in their internal 10-bit to
14-bit DAC LUT, which is in the display itself. The video card LUT
remains linear, and the higher bit depth of the curve applied in the
display itself translates into far smoother gradients. Thus far I'm
finding I prefer matrix profiles for these displays, but they are quite
well behaved once calibrated this way.

As the market is transitioning from CRT to LCD, I think we're in for a
bumpy ride. We also have wide gamut displays on the way and HDR
displays coming too. This could likely translate into wider disparity
in behavior among displays out in the world compared to the CRT days,
which means a greater dependence on DDC (or equivalent) to build
profiles on-the-fly, and on display compensation. Sending existing
internet images (as a simple example) to such a display will result in
very apparent oversaturation; so we're going to need display
compensation in even simple applications like web browsers. It will be
interesting to see how all of this plays out—I expect on Windows and
Mac OS to move to full display compensation powered by the video card,
eventually.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor
Co-author "Real World Color Management, 2nd Ed"
Published by PeachPit Press (ISBN 0-321-26722-2)