[Openicc] Re: Hello *and* (was): LINUX, Gutenprint / CUPS / Color policies

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Fri May 13 13:59:02 EST 2005

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> Again, remember that there's at least one driver developer on this
> list (me), and hopefully there are folks from the other major free
> source printer driver projects (HPIJS, Omni) here too.  I joined the
> list explicitly to work out what to do with color management in
> Gutenprint 5.2.  We wanted to get color management into 5.0, but we
> never did figure out the right thing to do, and it's probably just as
> well we didn't do something, because it probably would have been
> wrong.  So the right people are here to do something about this.

I suspect that there a quite a few people reading this list with such
experience in print systems. Just to spell out my background:

My experience has been in working for a PostScript RIP manufacturer
until recently. In that 10 years it went from being called Digital Ideas
(DiceNet), Colorstar and then to Colorbus (Cyclone). Our products have
driven digital color copiers (Canon, Xerox, Ricoh), electrostatic
plotters (Xerox, Raster Graphics), film recorders, Wide format and
proofing inkjet printers (Epson, H.P., Encad, Xerox, and many others).
I've designed PCI cards to interface to the copiers, helped
architect the product several times over, implemented screening
algorithms, calibration systems, and color conversion systems.
Over the last few years I headed the R&D team at Colorbus.
Prior to that I worked for an X Terminal manufacturer (Labtam),
where I worked on speeding up the graphics rendering code (after
moving on from designing UNIX computer hardware).

I'm the author of the Argyll CMS, a GNU licensed profile making
and color management package (something most people on this
list would be aware of, I guess.)

cheers,