[Openicc] Re: Hello *and* (was): LINUX, Gutenprint / CUPS / Color policies

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri May 13 17:55:13 EST 2005

Am 13.05.05, 15:15 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:

> It's far easier from an implementation point of view just to
> dump on the user all the implementation details of the device
> (What paper type, what resolution, what printing mode etc.),
> since this will work, and gives the user an ability to fully
> utilize the printers capabilities (if they can understand
> how to do it !)

Thats sounds like a question of UI design to me. A 'Autodetect' button may
set all options, which can been queried over the bidirectional device
communication (paper settings, ...) . The idea to let room for user
intervention is with respect to my experience not the badest thing.
Ok , a minimalistic print GUI can consist of a simple printer selector.
It should still work correctly to its extents.
Do you consider some kind of administration of options availability?

With all foreseeable carefulness, the design and implementation of a CMS
will have flaws. They should be correctable by an trained user.

Default UIs may simply bypass them (good default). As well the usual
advanced and expert modes help users to do theyre settings. Gutenprint as
has as the majority of other device dialogs utilised that. Maybe I dont
yet understand your concern about this approach.

There will be of course simple system provided UIs. As well it should be
possible to use alternative UIs. Therefore an information API to most of
the relevant settings is needed.

To do printing, the blocks, you spoke about, must rely on the figured out
user settings for the supplied print document or loudly intervent with
warning messages or correcting dialogs.
Alternatively exception policies may help automatically managing such
situations.

A small overexpoed example about a possible failure of automatisation:
... a selfcalibrating device. After 1/2 years the calibration unit gets
dust covered by the responsiblity of the user and is misscalibrated.
To simply clean the lens the device must be opened and would loose the
warranty. The machine dont accept outside profiles and can not been
reprofiled from outside. Now the dilemma of ordering a expensive
after sales service or breaking the device is perfect.
More intelligent accidents will happen in real world and in software.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas