[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Jun 25 02:21:17 EST 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Ben Guthro wrote:
> While I do see remote usage as important - how important is remote color
> management? If initial releases of this spec say that remote windows remain
> unmanaged, this might be acceptable.

Philosophically, I would say that remote color management (color
management for any logical display) is as important as air and water
and is actually one of the main reasons for this mailing list to exist
in the first place.  It is one of the main unanswered questions which
brought this group together. With some assistance from the X11 folks,
it should be possible to answer the question with the same level of
elegance which has allowed X11 to survive unscathed since the late
'80s.

So if the remote X11 server is able to provide a CMS profile which
describes itself to the client, then the client should be able to
perform color management, or intelligently request that the server
perform color management on its behalf.  The client and server are
able to negotiate things like remote fonts, so it should be possible
to negotiate ICC profiles as well.

Bob