[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jun 26 08:53:04 EST 2005

On Jun 25, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:

> Hmm, Scribus would need similar code into Aqua too. As of Scribus
> 1.3.0cvs, we
> are now running natively there. Our 1.2.x series does run via Fink/
> X11 tho.

The case of a page layout application running remotely is an
interesting one. Each object in page layout can have a different
source ICC profile.

In color managed page layout applications on Windows and Mac OS such
as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, and InDesign, this is done by the
application. The OS has next to nothing to do with it other than
providing information like where profiles are located, and what the
current display profile is. The application is sending device
dependent information to the OS because prematching (display
compensation) is done by the application.

This could still be done with Scribus running on one machine with the
result displayed remotely, but it means the x11 client has a means of
sending the client ICC profile to Scribus. Given that you can't be
sure of what services/functions are available on any given OS or
machine, application-level color management seems to be more
realistic at this point. The color management can occur on "vector"
or prerasterized data, which I'm guessing is what the server provides
to the client which then rasterizes it.

In this case, all that would be needed is a way for the x11 client to
grab the current display profile, and then send it to the server-
side. This single display profile is less than 4k in most instances.
Normalizing on the server side avoids the possibility of having to
send multiple 3MB output device profiles to the x11 client over
unknown bandwidth.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor