[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Jun 27 03:54:06 EST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 05:18 am, David Burren wrote:
> Which profile should be used in multi-head configs?  In a traditional
> multi-head X11 system, each screen can be accessed via a different
> $DISPLAY (e.g. machine:0.[screen-number]).  But with this system
> there's no facility to move windows between screens or have them
> spanning screens.  So systems like Xcinerama establish a single
> virtual screen covering the entire multi-head area.  And this is what
> can happen with Apple's Xquartz.  It just presents a simple single-
> screen desktop to the X11 clients.  But that also means only one XICC
> atom.  On an Xcinerama system the user will have to choose one
> profile to use for the entire system.  In Xquartz I expect that the
> server would settle on using the profile for the "primary" display
> (but at least OSX will have set the calibration individually for each
> screen).  Not a perfect system, but at least it's no worse than the
> current behaviour of a lot of "profile-aware" software (e.g. Apple
> Mail, Safari, iView MediaPro, etc) that only know about a single
> display profile.

On current non-OSX Xcinerama systems will there need to be significant changes
to how Xcinerama works to make it possible to specify more than one display
color profile with the XICC atom(s)?   If so is anyone looking at this?  Many
of those doing graphics work have Xcinerama multi-head displays and need to
have all of thier displays properly color managed.