[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Mon Jun 27 18:04:27 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 22:18 +1000, David Burren wrote:
> Which profile should be used in multi-head configs?  In a traditional
> multi-head X11 system, each screen can be accessed via a different
> $DISPLAY (e.g. machine:0.[screen-number]).  But with this system
> there's no facility to move windows between screens or have them
> spanning screens.  So systems like Xcinerama establish a single
> virtual screen covering the entire multi-head area.  And this is what
> can happen with Apple's Xquartz.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone else to notice that
the _ICC_PROFILE spec partially breaks on Xinerama.  As Sven points out,
the Xinerama concept itself is broken, but I think it's fair to say that
people with Xinerama either have:

1) a single main display and a number of "utility" displays, which are
not used for the work (but hold toolbars, documentation, etc).  In this
case the work display is a superior display, the utility displays might
be smaller LCDs.

2) a number of identical monitors, and a desktop which truely spans them
all.  In this case as the monitors are identical, the same display
profile should work.

I'll add a comment about Xinerama to version 0.2.

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./