[Openicc] XICC specification draft (Xinerama vs. composite).

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jun 28 07:46:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 23:09 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Exporting the screen geometries to applications would allow them to use
> whatever conversion they like and could work more soon.

In any multi-head configuration, applications don't generally know what
screen their window will be presented on, so some default mechanism for
doing color correction seems required.

> The stage to convert colours with plugable CMMs controlled by the
> composite manager and hide this stuff from applications will need a bit of
> preparation. This is in my opinion the way for the long run.

I'm already starting to figure out how to have applications cooperate in
the compositing process. This is currently being driven by needs for
accessibility, both color adjustment and magnification.  Perhaps this
kind of mechanism could be used for more accurate color correction.

-keith