[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Tue Jun 28 10:22:37 EST 2005

Hi,

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> writes:

> The problems with separate displays (from memory, so I might be
> missing some stuff I've forgotten...):
>
>      1. All visual information, including color values, colormaps,
>         etc. is managed separately for each screen.  This means that
>         an app or toolkit must track resources separately for each
>         screen, making optimization and caching a LOT harder.  FWIW,
>         most toolkits do not handle multiple screens properly...

GTK+ does it quite nicely.

>      3. There is no way to specify the geometry of screens - :0.1
>         may be to the left, right, top, and/or bottom of :0.0 - so
>         applications have to either ask the user or be hardcoded
>         when opening windows on multiple screens.

Huh? You can specify the relation of the screens just like you do for
a Xinerama setup. How would the X server know how to move the mouse
between screens otherwise (and yes, it knows how to do that).

>      4. You can't drag windows between screens.

But you can migrate them rather easily. Actually this should be a
feature of every window manager. So far the application needs to
provide a way to do it which is of course not a good solution.

Sven