[Openicc] Re: xcalib in Oyranos package

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 07:34:59 EST 2005

Am 04.10.05, 19:25 +0200 schrieb Stefan Döhla:

> Kai-Uwe, list
> > what does you think about including xcalib into an Oyranos package? It
> > would probably make life easier for distributors and of course Oyranos
> > more useable :-)
> >
> FreeBSD comes with xcalib as an optional package already. I don't care what
> people do with xcalib as long as they respect the license (which is currently
> rather strict). However, I release new versions once a while and being

Ok, a separate package may do as well. Is the first part of the
license meant as a hard condition or is it GPL?

> up-to-date is not always easy if there are many repositories. If someone
> feels, that he needs a customized version of xcalib, feel free. However, I
> would appreciate to be informed about the changes and fixes if others could
> benefit.
> Additionally, it maybe an issue of the used parsers/LUT-APIs: Currently there
> are three parsers and three LUT-APIs:
> - Parsers:
> -- own (very simple, not absolutely robust, supports this mLUT thing of
> ProfileMechanic, includes gamma limit handling - the one I work with most of
> the time)
> -- icclib by Graeme Gill (stable, bundled with the .tar.gz file of the xcalib
> sources)
> -- patched LCMS by Marti Maria (this was more a proof-of-concept - uses LCMS
> to smooth the ramps - don't know about Marti's opinion)
> - LUT-APIs:
> -- X11 XVidMode extension (the normal one)
> -- Win32 (yes, this works! and it works good. it can even be used as a program
> in the StartUp folder since Win32 has an obtainable default profile for the
> display)
> -- ATI fglrx (this is for the proprietary ATI driver together with X11)
>
> Not all combinations are right now possible, because of my laziness to
> modularize, but this shows, that the core is the same for all these different
> platforms but for users it's quite complicated. For now, I trust the
> experienced user to select the right options (or patching the Makefile) and
> giving me feedback about problems.
> > By the way, you are allready ahead in multi monitor support?
> Multi head support is already possible by using the standard X interfaces and
> running xcalib for every display. The limit is usually Xinerama, which doesn't
> allow to set multiple LUTs, since it's one logical screen. The other limit is
> the hardware itself, which has only one LUT for either the primary output or
> common for all outputs. I don't know about the newer cards (especially ATI,
> nVidia Quadro series and the Matrox Parhelia), whether they can be set
> independently, but there are probably others, who can jump in and report. Did
> I forget to mention calibration with the monitor's LUT? But that's maybe
> another story ...

When will monitor LUT uploading be part of xcalib?

> > Would it be a good time to enhence the ICC_PROFILE spec about your needs?
> > Then you could fetch the profile directly from the X server (as Oyranos
> > would).
> >
> I didn't feel very comfortable when it came to the mentioned spec. But I will

Whats your point with?

> support it in some way in the near future. It should be possible to set the
> profile and LUT with a single command. The same applies to default profiles:

This is possible in Oyranos.

> they should be easily settable (maybe in the main config or somewhere else),
> so that the LUTs can be changed semi-automatically.

How does default profiles belong to LUT setting? Whats your idea?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas