[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 26 08:51:52 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> about symlinks:
> My intention for Oyranos is to reject them.
>
> about flatness:
> Oyranos include subdirectories to allow some kind of structurising. But a
> convention how to make use of is not yet formed.
>
> The above suggested thierd standard directory would be ok with me for unix
> alike systems except osX.

When following the BSD/GNU standards which have driven directory
layouts for many years, the /usr/local/share/color/icc path makes
sense in that with the default installation path it is
$PREFIX/share/color/icc.  From an installed package's perspective this
is the same as /usr/share/color/icc if the package is installed with
$PREFIX=/usr. This means that support for /usr/local/share/color/icc
is an absolute requirement for packages installed using common default
conventions ($PREFIX=/usr/local) but only if they are not configured
to use a non-default installation prefix.

Packages which support profiles should always check
$PREFIX/share/color/icc and should prefer (check first) that directory
over /usr/share/color/icc since /usr/share/color/icc may be under
different administration.  This will include packages installed under
OSX unless they include specific OSX knowledge.

It is debateable if a package installed with $PREFIX=/usr should also
check for profiles in /usr/local/share/color/icc.

So, I agree with Kai-Uwe's proposed two *Linux standard* directories,
but packages should use $PREFIX/share/color/icc for formally installed
profiles and should not require that anything be installed in "OS"
directories unless they are configured to do so.

Bob