[Openicc] X-Rite to aquire GreytagMacbeth

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Feb 1 02:06:34 PST 2006

Actually, I´m very sceptical about this merger concerning open source
and colour management.
 From my view of germany, GMB was the smaller more innovative company
growing faster than the bigger X-Rite.

They made an an incredible good job with the EyeOne measurement
instrument to bring spectral measurement for prints, monitors and
lightning conditions to a much broader market.

For the graphic arts market of measurement instruments for colour
management, X-Rite and GMB will have a monopol with at least a market
share of 95%

I don´t expect a monopol to support open source, if both companies
didn´t done it in the past.

So for monitor-profiling, we should look may better at the
colorvision-instruments:

http://www.colorvision.com / http://www.datacolor.com

For printer measurement, may the datacolor 1005 or the spectrocam /
avantes mouse could be a solution for OSS

http://www.avantes.com

:-) Jan-Peter

Graeme Gill wrote

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18