[Openicc] X-Rite to aquire GreytagMacbeth

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Feb 1 12:27:26 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> I am in talks right now with X-Rite.  At this point I have no indications of
> how receptive they are but they have not told me to go away and the form that
> I filled out for them did list Unix as a platform and I checked other and
> then wrote in POSIX as my platform.   So I don't know if it will go anywhere
> but this is in the very early stages.

It is quite likely that for X-Rite "Unix as a platform" means Solaris
with KCMS.  Other than a chinese page I did not find mention of
Solaris on the X-Rite web site.  The Solaris documentation does
mention driver support, and Kodak sells printers, copiers, and other
equipment (Photo CD mastering?) with Solaris built in and using the
X-Rite devices.  Unfortunately, it looks like the heavy lifting has
primarily been done by Sun/Xerox and unless KCMS sources are released
as part of Open Solaris, this is not an avenue to success.

I am definitely willing to pay substantially more money for a smarter
"portable" device which allows its manufacturer to support closed and
open source systems without giving away their trade secrets.  As
primarily a Unix user, I am not particularly interested in spending a
lot of money on a product which only works for Windows, Mac OSX, or
even Solaris (my current desktop).  Perhaps if we band together in a
visible enough way, the vendors will see that there is a market.

Bob