[Openicc] X-Rite to aquire GreytagMacbeth

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Feb 3 15:14:20 PST 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 02:04 pm, Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> Graeme Gill wrote:
> > At one stage the Spectrocam SDK was supporting Linux, but it's hard to
> > say where that is at, now that it's been taken over by Avantes.
>
> I had used with this Linux SDK, and had also written a prototype for
> interfacing the Spectrocam to Argyll's abstract instrument library (in
> reflective mode only) one or two years ago. Basically I can scan charts
> with printread, but it does not yet work perfectly (I.e. frequently I
> need to rescan a strip, because it fails. I'm not sure, whether I'm
> using the API wrongly, or whether it's a bug in the SDK, but I must
> admit, that I had spent only very little time on analyzing the problem).
>
> However, the SDK seems not to be actively maintained. It is several
> years old, and I'm not aware of a new version. Thus it also does not
> support the new USB models, since they did not yet exist at that time.
> There is an open source GUI-based sample application included, but two
> libraries are binary only (x86). Both libs are C++ libs (though IMO C++
> seems to be unnecessary for the low-level lib, since its API is a C API
> only). Unfortunately, g++ is not ABI compatible (binary compatible)
> between different versions. So I was only able to compile programs which
> need to be linked against these libraries with an old gcc 2.95.3, and
> failed to build them with more recent gcc versions.
>
> Regards,
> Gerhard

Gerard is correct that even before Avantes removed the the linux SDK from
their web site that it did not seem to have been well maintained.   In fact I
think it was not maintained at all.  I downloaded it last September and the
libraries were still x86 only binaries that were compiled with an old version
of gcc.  Shortly after downloading it I tried to contact them to request the
SDK built for an amd64 and with a current version of gcc.  The contact email
address on the SDK web page was not valid.   The SDK was removed from their
web site shortly after that.   From what I could tell the Linux SDK was
something that they were not at all serious about.